National Service Scheme (NSS)
Program Officer: Dr. K. L. Karangia
The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. It provides opportunity to the student youth of Graduate level students of any discipline and student youth of Technical Institution of India to take part in various government led community service activities & programmes. The scheme was launched in Gandhiji's Centenary year in 1969.
The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service and instilling the idea of social welfare in students, and to provide service to society without bias.
- Encouraging youths to participate enthusiastically in the process of national development and promote national integration, through corporate living and cooperative action.
- The main objective of the National Service Scheme is to help the students to teach a democratic attitude along with the confidence to lead.
- The Scheme aims to make the students learn about the importance of sharing responsibilities and creating an attitude that boosts the idea of living together.
- It aims to develop practical knowledge and skills in the students so that they can face and to handle emergency or challenging situations with quietly.
- Making education more relevant to the present situation to meet the felt needs of community and supplements the academic education of the college students by bringing them face to face with the realities of the rural situation.
- Providing opportunities to students to play their role in planning and executing developing projects which would not only help in rural areas and urban slums but also result in the improvement of quality of the life of the economically and socially weaker section of the community.
- Encouraging students and non-students to work together along with the adults in rural areas and thereby develop a sense of social consciousness among them.
MOTTO of NSS
"NOT FOR ME BUT FOR YOU"